In the face of the continued global impact of COVID-19, it’s crucial to stay informed about the signs and symptoms of the virus and its variants. Holy Cross Urgent Care would like to keep you updated with the latest information on this virus, including the emerging EG.5 strain. If you believe you may be experiencing symptoms of COVID in Fort Lauderdale, it’s important to understand what to look for and what to do next. Learn how you can better protect yourself, your family, and your community with our easy-to-follow 2023 guide on COVID-19.
Recognizing the Common Symptoms of COVID-19
COVID-19 symptoms can range from mild to severe, typically appearing 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. The most common symptoms to watch out for include the following:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
The loss of smell and taste were once reliable indicators of a potential COVID-19 infection. However, these signs are now less common in infected individuals. It is entirely possible for a person to have COVID without experiencing noticeable changes to their sense of smell or taste.
If you haven’t lost your senses of smell or taste but you are experiencing symptoms from the list above, the next step is to get tested for COVID in Fort Lauderdale. The sooner you understand what you have, the sooner it can be addressed through treatment.
What Is the EG.5 COVID-19 Strain?
The EG.5 (Eris) strain is a recently identified variant of COVID-19. While research is ongoing, initial studies suggest that the symptoms of the Eris strain closely mirror those of the Omicron variant. However, early indications show that Eris may be more easily transmissable due to a mutation in its spike protein, making it easier for the virus to enter cells. Eris has been recognized as a “variant of interest” by the World Health Organization (WHO), but more research is needed to determine how different it is from other strains.
COVID in Fort Lauderdale: What To Do if You Have Symptoms?
If you suspect that you may have contracted COVID-19, here are the steps you should take:
- Stay Home: If you’re feeling unwell, remain at home except when seeking medical care. Avoid public areas and refrain from using public transportation.
- Get Tested: Reach out to Holy Cross Urgent Care to schedule a COVID-19 test. We offer comprehensive testing services designed to deliver accurate results promptly.
- Contact Tracing: Inform everyone you’ve been in close contact with about your symptoms so they can take the necessary precautions.
- Self-Isolate: While awaiting your test results, stay isolated from others as much as possible to prevent potential spread. This includes members of your household.
- Follow Medical Advice: If your test result is positive, follow all advice and instructions given by your healthcare provider.
Holy Cross Urgent Care: Your Partner in Health
At Holy Cross Urgent Care, we’re committed to supporting our community during these challenging times. With COVID-19 still a significant concern, especially with the emergence of new strains like EG.5 (Eris), we strive to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information.
If you suspect you may have COVID-19 and you’re in Fort Lauderdale or Coral Springs, FL, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Our skilled healthcare professionals perform COVID-19 testing services, and they can assess your condition and recommend effective treatments. Check-in at the Holy Cross Urgent Care nearest you for fast, affordable care.